We know that these days we need to eat healthy and exercise, right? That’s not something new and unusual. We are all trying to get lean these days. But with obesity rates estimated to reach 3/4 of the population by 2030, it’s clear we’re not doing enough.
Sadly, 2/3 of North America is now obese and 1/3 of our children are too. That’s outrageous and if you are a parent of an obese child, it’s time to make some changes, and it starts with you.
Leading by example is the best way to alter a child’s eating habits, and although there may be some resistance in the beginning, it’s important to keep your eye on the long-term goal…and that is to ensure your obese child does NOT become an obese adult. That’s where the Get Lean Eating Plan comes into play — it’s something the whole family can do!
Once again, it starts with you, so let’s dive in!
Here are 13 Steps to adopt and adapt to to get you and your family on the Clean Eating train, and to stay lean:
- Eat 3 main meals and 1-2 snacks daily (snacks are only if you are feeling hungry, don’t force feed!).
- Choose organic foods whenever possible (I buy what’s one sale and/or stick to the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen lists).
- Drink a minimum of 2L of water daily (no soda, diet drinks or chemical energy drinks allowed).
- Get label savvy (know what ingredients to look for and avoid).
- Avoid processed and refined foods (this includes all lunch/deli meat, white flour, sugar, bread and pasta).
- Know thy enemies (steer clear of trans fats, anything fried or high in sugar. Fruit is the exception).
- Consume healthy fats (your brain needs the proper fats to function properly. This includes EFAs).
- Learn proper portion sizes (we will delve into this deeper below).
- Reduce your carbon footprint (eat produce that is in season and local, shop your farmer’s market when possible).
- Shop with a conscience (consume humanely-raised, local meats and ocean-friendly fish and seafood).
- Slow down and savour your meals (never eat standing up, in your car or on the run. Slow down and appreciate your food).
- Take it to go (invest in a good quality lunch cooler and pack it with your clean meals for work or outings so you always have clean eats with you).
- Make it a family affair (food is the social glue that should be shared with loved ones. Improve the quality of your family’s life along with your own by eating clean as a team).
Ok. So we know what we need to do to start eating healthier and cleaner. But what if this is all new to you and you have no idea where to start? So glad you asked!
Start with 1-2 new habits from the list above. Maybe all you are focus on right now is drinking more water daily and learning proper portion sizes. That’s ok. I like to suggest to my clients to start with the new habits you find easiest to tackle. Focus on improving your efforts 1-2 at a time, over a 2 week period.
When they become 2nd nature, then it’s time to add another 1-2 new habits. As you can plainly see, this is not something that will be a part of you overnight. It may take weeks, months or even years to master all habits of clean eating. It is all about the baby steps, taking it one step at a time. Plus, there will be times when some are just not possible i.e. There aren’t any Farmer’s Markets in my area over the winter.
The key is to start small, and slowly progress over time to avoid overwhelm and confusion.
No that you know the basics of eating clean, it’s time to delve deeper into your Get Lean by Eating Clean Plan!
If exercise is your key to burning fat, building lean muscle and staying healthy — then cleaning up your diet is the other half of the equation. To truly look, feel and be your best, you must eat right too.
That doesn’t mean you should jump on the latest diet trend (let me give it to ya straight — listen closely…DIETS DON’T WORK SO STOP GOING ON THEM!), or lowering your daily caloric intake to dangerously low amounts — quite the contrary. It also doesn’t mean you need to eat boring “rabbit food” either!
So what the heck does it mean?
It means enjoying a balanced diet packed with a variety of delish, nutrish foods that suit your tastes. Will you have to try new foods? Sure! It doesn’t mean that needs to be a scary adventure. It just means that you need to keep your eye on the prize, which is leading by example in your family.
Remember, it starts with you!
Wanna take your clean eating one step further? Download my Clean Eating Grocery List! It’s free!
If you’re a hardcore foodie, you’ll have no prob whipping up some culinary creations. But if you are like me, and prefer to keep it simple and quick (trust me, I am no chef in the kitchen, just ask poor hubsy), this plan will also teach you what, and how much to eat in a simple, easy way that will allow you to toss together quick, convenient and nutrish meals. All you need is a few basic instructions for eating as healthfully as possible.
First, let’s target your Calorie Target for Weight Loss:
Following this guide allows you to eat your foods your way, as long as you are sticking to the 13 Golden Rules of Clean Eating mentioned above.