My Ab Toning Workout Video is up! #WorkoutWednesday!
One of the most often-asked Qs I get as a Fitness Nutritionist and Health & Fat Loss Coach is, “Tanya, how do I shrink my muffin top” or “What’s the best way to get rid of belly fat” or “What ab toning workout do you suggest?”.
I do need to mention a few things, though:
- Crunches, ab rollers and other ab toning exercises aren’t enough when it comes to shrinking the size of your tummy.
- Most fat burning comes from cardio, in particular, HIIT cardio is your best bet if you want to reduce your belly fat.
- You can’t spot reduce, meaning you can’t shrink the size of just one body part at a time. Your body loses fat where IT wants to lose fat. Sorry, ladies.
- A healthy “diet” of mostly un-processed food, lots of fresh water and moderate, consistent exercise is necessary to win the war on fat. Ab toning workouts alone won’t do the trick.
- Counting calories is not necessary. You should be focused on counting macros instead. Quality of food over Quantity MATTERS!
- Busting your butt 5+ times/week for an hour or more doing cardio is so old school…and just might lead to a bigger belly. Nobody wants that. Try resistance training a few times a week (2-4x/week) and stick with HIIT or Tabata for your cardio (1-3x/week MAX).
- Forget about tummy toning creams, gels, pills, shakes, diets and other tricks and gimmicks. They don’t work and all you’ll shrink is your wallet. Trust me, I’ve tried them all too 🙁
- Work on reducing your stress. This is a tough one, believe you me. And you won’t get rid of stress 100%. Life just doesn’t work that way. But you CAN manage it with mediation, cognitive behaviour therapy, self care and yoga. The more stress you allow into your life, the higher your cortisol levels, the bigger your mid-section.
- Sleep. Yup, sleep is responsible for belly size. The less sleep you get, the higher your cortisol levels (see the point above). It takes work to get a sleep routine that works for you. But the longer you put it off, the longer it takes to create one.
- Patience. Look girlie, I’m gonna get reals with ya for a sec, k? The excess fat didn’t magically appear overnight. Right? So why would you think it would disappear overnight too? It won’t. What’s needed is a lifestyle overhaul, not another quick fix! We already talked about how they don’t work in Point #7, remember? It may take you 3 months…or 3 years. It all depends on your body’s makeup, your commitment to a healthier life, your age and hormones…it all adds up.
Why even DO the exercises in this week’s video???
Because every little bit matters. And exercise is more than just an ab toning workout. It’s about making you feel better on the whole, about clearing out the brain fog, about improving your overall health.
When we workout, whether it’s an ab toning workout or otherwise, our feel-good hormones (serotonin) are firing and it makes us, well, feel good.
If you’re dreading your workouts, you’re doing the wrong kind. Even though I recommend everybody and every body do HIIT and lift weights…if PiYo makes your heart sing, then do it! If you love a good Zumba jam, shake your tushie, girl! Swimming more your stroke (hehe)? Swim away, lovey <3
Don’t follow the latest trends i.e. Crossfit and Keto if you’re more of a Jazzercise and Vegetarian kinda-girl!
Just. Do. You.
Then go and do this week’s ab toning workout hehe
Make sure to like the video, comment underneath what your fave exercise (or two!) was from it, or even what you’d prefer to see next time! I L-O-V-E your suggestions, so don’t be shy girlie!
And if you could SUBSCRIBE too, that would help me, help you with more fun and fab workouts in the future. Don’t forget to click the Bell for Notifications of when my next video goes live (Only 1-2/week, don’t worry).